7 Best Phuket Beaches for Golfers
04/10/2019 Sepp Hatzl 731 views Phuket Beach Article No Comments
What Are the Best Phuket Beaches for Golfers?
We know many of you are avid golfers and you’ll take any opportunity you can get to get out on a course to spend the morning or entire day.
But, do you know which are the Best Phuket Beaches for Golfers? Which Beaches are close to the best golfing courses on Phuket? Where are the best accommodations to stay at a beach if you’re a golfer in Phuket?
Those are the questions we answer for you below!
Best Phuket Beaches for Golfers
Phuket golf courses are spread out north to south, and if you’re like most golfers you’ll enjoy playing at top-notch courses at least once during your stay, and some other less expensive spots for your other outings.
Below, we break down Phuket’s best beaches for golfers into two sections corresponding to – North and Middle of the island. To make it clearer, we cover the northwest and mid-west beaches.
Phuket’s best beaches for golfers to stay in and around are of course on the west coast where the sand and water is better (less mud) and the sunsets bring a calming end to incredible days out on the golf course. Some east coast beaches are worth visiting, but the gems are on the west coast and southern tip.
Main Golf Courses in Mid-west Phuket?
Phuket Country Club
– are 27 holes enough for you? The Phuket Country Club combines two courses, an 18-hole and a 9-hole course you can play all in the same day if you have the energy!
These two courses cover a large area in Kathu (village between Patong Beach and Phuket City, map marker #1)). You can’t miss the signs as you take the main highway (4029) between the two locations. Some people are put off by the sheer number of people who golf here on a daily basis, but this is the state of things during the high season in Phuket. This course is not very expensive, so it attracts all kinds of players, and many golfers who cannot afford the other more exclusive fees.
Loch Palm Golf Club
– an 18-hole course around lakes with beautiful views which is sometimes overshadowed by other great courses on Phuket. Loch Palm is located also in Kathu (map marker #2) has long been one of Phuket’s premiere courses with challenging holes.
Red Mountain Golf Club
– this 18-hole course, located in Kathu (map marker #3) next to Loch Palm Golf Club, has the highest social media rating (Google) of all the courses on Phuket. Red Mountain is stunning, so-named for it’s obvious red dirt and stone hill which is a backdrop for many of the eighteen holes.
Best Beaches for Golfers on the Mid-West Courses?
Most of Phuket’s golf courses can be reached quickly by staying in the mid-west area of Phuket. By ‘mid-west’ we’re referring to all beaches between Kamala Beach and down to Karon and Kata beaches.
If you’re the kind of golfer who loves the nightlife too, you probably already know where to stay in Phuket – Patong is the island’s #1 nightlife spot, and there’s nothing else even close. There are lots of other reasons to stay in Patong Beach if you’re a golfer though.
Patong is the west coast center of the island geographically and functionally. Anything you want to do in Phuket is easily found here – including great restaurants, hundreds of things to do including the best shopping on the island (shared with Phuket City).
Let’s cover some of the good and bad points of staying in Patong.
Benefits for Golfers Staying at Resorts in Patong Beach
- 20-Minute Drive.
It is super easy to reach the Phuket Country Club across the mountain in Phuket City. This is a big 27-hole course that most people play because it’s affordable and has some very challenging holes on the 9-hole course.
- Best selection of restaurants on the island.
Don’t get us wrong, there are plenty of fantastic must-try restaurants all over the island, but for sheer selection and variety – nothing beats Patong Beach. If there’s a food you crave, you can probably find it when you stay here.
- Shopping galore.
You can find just about anything you could possibly need in Patong Beach, you just have to know where to look for it. Start your search online – we have a great page “Things to do in Patong” to help here.
Yes, it has already been mentioned, and you probably know all about it. Still, we have to say that Patong Beach at night is as much fun as you can have with your shirt on. Start on Soi Bangla and sample some of the variety available. Golfers love nightlife too.
- Close proximity
to some of the other amazing beaches on the island like Paradise Beach; Freedom Beach; and Kata and Karon beaches.
Negatives for Golfers Staying at Resorts in Patong Beach
Traffic, traffic, traffic. Seriously, traffic. If you can leave for the golf course in the very early morning before the traffic starts, you’ll be off to a great start! Get back to your hotel between lunch and dinner when the traffic is again at a lull (weekdays) and you just might go relatively stress-free for the day. Call that a win!
Recommended Accommodations for Golfers at Patong Beach
- Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa – this resort is a little different, even offering a large green grass yard in front of the resort, something you’re not going to find at very many other spots on Phuket. Nearly all rooms offer good views of the beach and sunsets can be dramatic over the expansive bay. If you’re a golfer but you also bowl, you’re going to love the indoor bowling alley at this resort! Phuket Graceland is a large resort with huge conference rooms, ideal for golf conferences. Rates are affordable at around 5,000 THB per night during high-season and less than 3,000 THB per night during the off-season for this modern and well cared for resort.
- Grand Mercure Phuket Patong – this stunning resort consistently gets very high marks from past guests and is one of the highest rated places to stay on Phuket Island. Grand Mercure puts a very modern spin on traditional Thai style accommodations. The common areas are very well planned and spectacular at night. The resort is located close to some small shopping malls and a host of highly rated restaurants. The gym, pools, and children’s center will keep most of you busy while not out on the golf course. As a last resort, there is always the large wet-bar in the main pool area, or the easy to reach local market just outside the grounds. Rates start around 3,000 THB during the low-season.
- Patong Bay Hill Resort – located southeast of the beach and in the hills of southern Patong Beach, this affordable and highly rated property starts at only 2,000 THB per night during low-season. It’s possible to stay at this resort in Patong and yet be just out of reach of the traffic and loudness of the city. High-season rates begin around 4,000 THB which still seems well worth it.
Kata & Karon Beaches
A stay in Kata or Karon puts you in a cozy little west coast oasis that reminds us of a little European town on the sea. There is an abundant choice of restaurants and small shops for shopping for souvenirs or essentials.
The beaches offer some of the best swimming and wading available on Phuket with the bottom being generally free from dangerous rocks or coral while close to the shore.
If you’re not a person who will be hitting the nightlife or bars during the day in Patong Beach, a stay at one of these beaches might be what you’d enjoy. If you have a family, both Kata and Karon are great beach choices.
Benefits for Golfers Staying at Resorts in Kata/Karon Beaches
- With light traffic, you can reach three great golf courses near Phuket Town – The Phuket Country Club 18 and 9-hole courses, Loch Palm and Red Mountain 18-hole Golf Clubs in about twenty-five minutes (plan on 40!). Staying in Karon or Kata Beach takes you out of the hectic traffic and crowds of Patong Beach and still allows you to reach these couple of courses and the golf facilities above.
- For driving some balls, Phunaka Golf Driving Range and Phuket Golf Academy are just twenty minutes east of the southern tip of Karon Beach. Phunaka has a driving range, club rentals, and cheap balls for the driving range at just 60 THB for forty balls during our last visit. There is a golf pro on-site who can help you with your swing. There is a computer evaluation of swing as well, this might be worth a stop!
- Golfers with kids might appreciate the Dino Park Mini Golf at the south end of Karon Beach. This is an ideal place for kids to play for a couple hours if they’re bored with the usual offerings. This is a well-built facility with good food, beer, WIFI, and unlimited play tickets available to keep kids busy for hours at a time.
Negatives for Golfers Staying at Resorts in Kata/Karon Beaches
The Laguna Golf Phuket, Mission Hills Golf Course and Blue Canyon Country Club are going to be quite a drive for you from Kata/Karon beaches. Sure, you can still keep them on your list but if you plan on playing these courses regularly you might consider moving your accommodations further north to Patong or even further up the coast to one of our other recommended beaches.
Recommended Accommodations for Golfers at Kata or Karon Beach
- Club Med Phuket – Kata Beach hosts this large Club Med in a secluded area right on the beach. They have plenty of things to do for families with or without children. For the adults there are multiple wet bars and restaurants, a workout area with free weights and machines, spas, massage, and classes to learn Thai food cooking and more. A ‘club room’ for two nights will run each adult around 5,000 THB per night during low-season and much higher during Thailand’s busy period from November to May. Club Med has an odd way of pricing your stay, so do be careful to note the price is per adult.
- Kata Beach Resort and Spa – also called Beyond Resort Kata. This is a large resort located on the south end of Kata Beach. Kata Beach Resort gets great reviews consistently and the price is affordable. There is a business room with internet, activities for kids, and of course swimming pools and a bar. Rates begin in the 3,000 THB per night range during low-season.
- Novotel Phuket Kata Avista Resort and Spa – this is a nice resort that some say is a bit dated, but their nightly rate starts around 2,000 THB in the low-season, so it provides an affordable alternative outside of Patong Beach. Kata Beach is just a short walk down the road. The rooms are cozy and on the smaller side and there is a steep walk up to reach some of the rooms – the elderly may have a difficult time. Shuttles are sometimes available but require a wait.
Golf Courses in Northwest Phuket?
Laguna Golf Phuket
Located on the massive Bang Tao Beach (map marker #4), the Laguna Golf Course is a favorite for many golfers visiting Phuket due to its longevity and convenience to many areas. Bang Tao Beach is a favorite for many travelers and it makes it really easy for golfers to book accommodations right on the beach at one of the lovely Bang Tao Beach resorts.
Laguna Golf Course Overview
Open from 6 am. to 7 pm., this super-convenient golf club has some extras that you won’t find at other golf courses like a tennis court and a lap pool! They also have a large pro-shop and the club house restaurant is rated highly. Some golfers have been enjoying coming to this well-kept course and facilities for over a decade.
This 18-hole mostly flat course has been renovated and is following much the same plan as in years past. Changes include bolder contouring and deep bunkers on some of the holes. As before, the front nine holes have a lot of water.
Laguna Golf Phuket has a nice restaurant called the Banyan Cafe on the veranda overlooking this scenic course. Other facilities and services include a golf school, driving range, and practice putting greens.
Reviews are overwhelmingly positive with reviewers rating the course one of the mid-level golf courses in Phuket.
Bang Tao Beach, also sometimes called Laguna Beach, has large uncrowded beaches great for relaxation and having a beautifully designed golf course just minutes away is a real bonus for golf fanatics.
Blue Canyon Country Club
built in 1991 and designed by Mr. Yoshikazu Kato, this is a par-72 course of 7,179 yards. The greens are Bermuda Tiffdwarf grass and the fairways, Zoysia Materella.
Blue Canyon Country Club Course Overview
18-hole course with mandatory golf cart use. This one is the northernmost 18-hole course on Phuket Island and just south of the Phuket International Airport (HKT) (map marker #5). This is a challenging course that has been the location for international tournaments since the early 1990’s. Blue Canyon has many narrow fairways lined with ironwood trees and difficult dog-legs. Water is a hazard on fourteen holes and there are eighty sand bunkers on the course. Greens are rated fast. The 17th hole is a par-3 and especially well laid out, even earning one of the Top 500 Best Holes in the World by Golf Magazine in the year 2000.
Mission Hills Golf Club
Remotely located on the northeast coast of Phuket (map marker #6) is another course that Jack Nicklaus designed. This mostly flat 18-hole course offers stunning views of the PhangNa Bay. Many reviewers mentioned large rooms at the resort, relatively uncrowded golf course, and good food. Course maintenance is consistently mentioned by reviewers on social media as not quite up to par. $100 for 9-holes.
Best Northwest Beaches for Phuket Golfers?
There are three decent golf courses in the northern half of Phuket Island we mentioned above. Where are the best beaches you could stay at to be within a short drive of these courses?
Mai Khao Beach
Benefits for Golfers Staying at Resorts in or Close to Mai Khao Beach
- Mai Khao Beach is really a lovely wide-open straight beach north of the Phuket International Airport (HKT). The sand is white, deep, and fine, it’s perfect for kids or anyone interested in walking or wading. There are shady trees along the beach and the waves are gentle during high-season. If you’re curious about surfing, come during the April to November months for bigger waves.
- Large selection of high-quality resorts. You can see some of our recommendations below.
- A few things to do that are close by. Splash Jungle Water Park is a short drive away. This is a major park ideal for kids of all ages. Also, nearby are Bang Pae waterfall, the largest and most popular waterfall in Phuket (18 meters high), and Tonsai waterfall (second largest waterfall) which both are about a half-hour drive away. Once there, you’ll enjoy a short hike through the jungle before arriving at the waterfalls where you can swim or wade.
Negatives for Golfers Staying In/Around Mai Khao Beach
Mai Khao Beach is some distance away from Patong Beach, so if you’re interested in the nightlife action found in Patong, you’ll be a fair drive away. Depending where you are on Mai Khao, you could be as much as one hour away from Patong.
Places to Stay in Mai Khao Beach for Golfers
- Anantara Vacation Club – a luxurious villa resort with high-end décor and art features large, clean villas with private pools and hot-tubs. Guests will find large flat-screen televisions with good Wi-Fi and fantastic sounding Bose speaker systems. Of course, massage and other health-spa options are available, and breakfast is complimentary. During low-season nightly rates begin around 9,500 THB.
- SALA Phuket Resort & Spa – a lovely 5-star resort right in the center of Mai Khao Beach with multiple dining options including a rooftop restaurant with great sunset views. SALA has one and two-bedroom villas with private pools, a well-stocked gym, massage and other health spa options. Rates per night start at 6,000 THB during high season and 4,000 THB in low season.
- JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa – a 5-star resort with a stunning landscape layout and a half-dozen fine dining restaurants and five bars – including wet bars – to try during your stay. Cuisine includes steak, Italian, seafood, and of course authentic Thai. This Marriott has three big pools and numerous classes including Thai cooking class that may be of interest. Rates begin at 3,300 THB per night during low-season and increase to around 7,000 THB during the months of November to May.
Nai Yang Beach Area
Nai Yang Beach is closest to the Blue Canyon Country Club, only a short five or ten-minute drive over either Highway 4031 or 4026. Also included in this section are some of the other very nearby beaches of Mai Khao, Nai Thon, Bang Tao, Banana, Trisara, Layan, Laem Singh and Surin.
Consider staying in or near any of these beaches because they all have something to offer. The beaches mentioned in this section are all in the northeast. Beaches here are laid back, usually large, and have a lot of sand where you can set up your beach mats and enjoy peace and quiet.
If you’re looking for a small private type beach, you’ll enjoy Banana, Trisara, Layan, and Laem Singh when they’re not too crowded.
If you’re looking for a large beach that never gets crowded, choose Mai Khao, Nai Thon, Bang Tao, or Surin Beach.
Benefits for Golfers Staying at Resorts in or Close to Nai Yang Beach
- Easy access to three nice golf courses in the north of Phuket: Blue Canyon Country Club; Mission Hills and Laguna Golf Phuket. Note – if you’re staying in northern Nai Yang, you’re going to have a bit of a drive to get down to Laguna Golf Phuket depending on traffic. Mornings are usually relatively traffic-free on Highway 402 if there is no major event happening on the island.
- Very relaxed beach environment. Nai Yang Beach and its surrounding beaches are some of the most chilled-out spots on the entire island of Phuket. If relaxation figures into your vacation plans, you’re going to be really happy you chose to stay in or near Nai Yang, Nai Thon, or Mai Khao beaches.
- Great restaurants and bars!
- Little traffic. Nothing like further south toward Patong Beach. Nothing stresses people out more than heavy traffic, and Phuket is known for it the further south you go on the island. From Nai Yang Beach you can easily reach hundreds of delicious places to eat or find a place to relax at a mellow bar.
Negatives for Golfers Staying In/Around Nai Yang Beach
Distance to the other golf courses further south on the island. This is the only major negative we could come up with. You’ll need to give some thought to this before booking all your nights in Nai Yang Beach. If it’s very important to you to stay out of the bad traffic that exists further south on Phuket, you might be happy enough staying in Nai Yang Beach for the duration of your stay. You’ll easily reach the Laguna Golf Phuket course, Mission Hills and the Blue Canyon Country Club will be even closer.
Staying in the middle of the island is advised if you’re not one to worry about traffic much. This way you’ll be able to reach all the best golf courses in a reasonable amount of time. Usually! Just keep in mind there are times when the traffic is at a standstill in southern Phuket. High traffic usually corresponds to morning and evening rush-hour traffic times. Just avoid it if possible.
Places to Stay in Nai Yang Beach for Golfers
Bismarck’s Paradise Luxury Villas is our own property and one we know you’ll have a great experience at. We offer private pool villas with more convenient service options than anywhere in Phuket. Our staff is hand-picked to provide the highest level of service in all circumstances.
Bismarck’s Paradise is located between Nai Thon and Nai Yang beaches and is very convenient (less than ten minutes) to Mission Hills, Laguna Golf Phuket and Blue Canyon Country Club. If you’re looking for ideal convenience and an experience to remember, stay with us for a couple of nights and see for yourself! Rates begin at 6,600 THB during low season and around 13,200 THB during high season.
Nai Thon Beach
When you stay at Nai Thon Beach as a golfer, you’ll enjoy a short drive from the airport and easy access to Patong, Phuket Town, and the major golf courses on Phuket Island. The beach is smaller than say Nai Yang Beach, but it has a certain charm that some other beaches don’t possess. As with most beaches on the west coast, there are fine resorts and lovely sunsets!
Benefits for Golfers Staying at Resorts in or Close to Nai Thon Beach:
- Really nice, very long and wide beach with soft white sand and enough space that it never feels crowded. Lifeguards usually present on this soft sloping beach which is ideal for kids, families, or someone who prefers to stay away from the crowds. Many guests of resorts in this area return year after year because the atmosphere is just right.
- Nai Thon Beach is fairly convenient to everything on the west coast, including the courses in the north of the island. You can even get down to the golf courses in Phuket Town without too much time or effort. Besides golf, there are many good restaurants in this area and if relaxation is your focus, you’ll certainly enjoy staying at Nai Thon.
Negatives for Golfers Staying In/Around Nai Thon Beach
There are no nice restaurants or clubs located right on the beach here in Nai Thon. There are about twelve restaurants across the road along the beach and there are some restaurants which overlook the beach from up on the hill. Good enough, but it would be nice to have at least one nice restaurant right here on the sandy beach.
Places to Stay in Nai Thon Beach for Golfers
- Bismarck’s Paradise Luxury Villas – a very short drive away (under ten minutes) down Highway 4018 from Nai Thon Beach is our lovely private property with well-kept landscape, private villas with pools and mountain views! We’re found conveniently located between Nai Thon and Nai Yang beaches on a small hill overlooking countryside. We’ll work hard to make your stay the most enjoyable experience possible by emphasizing Thai hospitality and comfort. We constantly update our units and we provide personal services that are unheard of in Phuket. Curious? Book a couple nights with us this year and let us help make your Phuket vacation a truly memorable experience!
- Pearl of Naithon – this is a basic hotel on the north end of Nai Thon Beach with a swimming pool and gym. The accommodations are nicely designed and furnished, some of them are even for sale. The rooms are large and with hard wooden floors. Some units have full kitchens. Rates for 1-bedroom apartments sleeping two people begin at 5,100 THB during low season and climb to 7,100 for high season. They also have a penthouse that sleeps 8-persons starting for around 17,800 during low season.
- Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach – borders the north edge of Nai Thon Beach, this stunning 5-star resort is a favorite for many. The Pullman complex is large and getting to the beach requires a walk that some people find tiresome. There are shuttles running back and forth. Ratings on social media are consistently very high. Rooms begin around 3,000 THB during low-season and 5,000 THB during high-season.
Bang Tao Beach (Bang Tao Beach is our #1 Recommendation for Golfers in Phuket)
When you stay at Bang Tao Beach, you have a number of positives and very few if any negatives to worry about. The beach is laid back and ideal for all kinds of people who don’t like too much noise or to be bothered. There are plenty of great restaurants and nice resorts to stay at, and you’re close to the action of Patong Beach without having to spend all your time there.
The best thing about staying in Bang Tao Beach as a golfer? You’re close to plenty of golf courses!
Benefits for Golfers Staying at Resorts in or Close to Bang Tao Beach:
- Bang Tao Beach is a very laid-back place to spend time between rounds of golf.
- Staying at Bang Tao Beach puts you within easy access to golf courses in the north of Phuket as well as the courses in Phuket Town. Add to that your proximity to Surin Beach, and Patong, and it’s quite hard to beat this spot for accommodations. Oh, and if you’re into nightclubs at the beach, Xana Nightclub is right on Bang Tao Beach and many people prefer it instead of making the trip down to Patong nightly.
Negatives for Golfers Staying In/Around Bang Tao Beach
We tried for ten minutes to come up with something negative about staying in Bang Tao, but truthfully, it’s a great place for most people. If you really need the nightlife all night every night, you should probably stay in Patong Beach.
Places to Stay in Bang Tao Beach for Golfers
- Banyan Tree Phuket – If money is no option, staying at the Banyan Tree Phuket should put a big smile on your face. This fancy resort with private villas is located roughly in the center of Bang Tao Beach. Nightly rates begin at 14,000 THB in high season and around 9,000 during off-season (low season). As a bonus, the villas at Banyan Tree provide views of the golf course – so ask for it if this sounds like the perfect place to stay!
- For a cheaper option, the Angsana Laguna Phuket resort starts around 3,000 THB in low season and is very convenient to the Laguna Golf Phuket course and clubhouse. This is a nice place to stay and has the added convenience of being next to Xana Beach Club which has great food and upscale nightlife.