Ao Sane Beach Phuket is on a rugged part of Phuket’s southern coast, filled with rocks under the water and on the beach. The snorkeling here is excellent, and the beach is absolutely stunning to look at. Very few tourists or locals visit this beach, but if you’re looking for great snorkeling on-island, Ao Sane is one of the best and can save you a trip by boat to one of the islands.
Ao Sane Beach Clubs
None right in Ao Sane but see beach club listings in our Nai Harn Beach listing!
Ao Sane Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Mahasamutr Sunset Bar – just around the bend from Ao Sane Beach, going east on the highway toward Nai Harn, this little bar and restaurant gets great reviews for the food, drinks, and service. Multi-level seating and a bonus is the sunset view for dinner. Restaurants on Ao Sane were either not highly rated or have too few ratings for us to recommend them. Go to Mahasamutr Sunset Bar above for the best experience. Also check out our Beach Club and Restaurant listings for Nai Harn Beach, just a short ride down the coast.
Ao Sane Beach Accommodations
- Baan Krating Phuket Resort – a 3-star hotel on the hill above the highway passing by Ao Sane Beach. Reviews are pretty positive, and the price is right, starting around 1,300 THB. This is a basic hotel without frills but offers a nice location and beach bar.
- Ao Sane Bungalow – we can’t report much about these bungalows, there aren’t enough reviews of the property online, nor can we find a room rate. We’ve reviewed photos and the bungalows are very small, big enough for a bed and restroom, and that’s probably all. The walls are made of particle board. Still, it somehow got a 4 out of 5-star rating by guests, despite some people absolutely destroying it in their review. Not recommended.
- The Naiharn – if you don’t want to camp in your room in a bungalow, and you’re not enthused about Baan Krating above, go straight over to Nai Harn and book at The Naiharn for about 5,000 THB per night and you’ll thank yourself in the morning! Super-positive reviews and a lovely property in one of Phuket’s most scenic areas. Views of Nai Harn Beach, the windmill, and Promthep Cape.
Ao Sane Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Southernmost part of Island
- GPS Data: 7° 46’ 41” N, 98° 1’ 49” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 20 / 18 / 46
- Taxis available: No
- Surrounding Beaches: Nui Beach to north; Nai Harn Beach to south.
- Direction Facing: South
- Beach Length: Section #1: 185 meters (202 yd); Section #2: 68 meters (74 yd)
- Beach Width: Section #1: 8 meters (9 yd) on average; Section #2: 13 meters (14 yd)
- Estimated Beach Area: 2’364 m2 (2,827 square yd)
- Beach Quality: Sand with large rocks.
- Ocean Bottom: Filled with rocks.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Yes, at the restaurant.
- Beach features: Rocky at the ends of the beach – all sections (rocks north end, shallow reef, etc.)
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? Yes, on the east side of the beach.
- Umbrellas? Yes, on the east side.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No, too many submerged rocks.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? No
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 5-10m
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: N/A – very small beach.
- Activities: Quite good for snorkeling, one of the prettiest spots on the island. Swimming and relaxing on lounge chairs under the umbrellas is what most people do at this beach.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Southernmost part of Island
- Surfing? No breaks
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Many rocks under the water, do be careful while swimming or wading.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Ao Sane Beach
For more Ao Sane Beach information check out the Blog: