Just east of Ao Yon Yai Beach is Ao Yon Noi Beach. This one is much smaller, and some people prefer it because there are even fewer people. This is a real locals beach, but of course you’re free to hang out!
Ao Yon Noi Beach is smaller, quieter, and cozier than Ao Yon Yai Beach just beside it. It’s a little harder to reach, but persevere, and you’ll find it and be glad you did.
Ao Yon Noi Beach is 350-meter-long with some shade trees and sand great for either catching some rays for a tan, or just walking around and enjoying the serenity of the place. You’re probably not going to come over this way to the Cape unless you’re staying in a resort here, or you’re in Phuket Town and need a break for a nice meal or a walk on the beach.
There are two excellent restaurants here at Ao Yon Noi Beach, and you should try both of them if you get a chance. Both restaurants on Ao Yon Noi Beach get great ratings from customers. More info see below in the beach facts section.
Sunsets can be very nice when the sky turns fire red like Phuket sunsets often do – the entire sky lighting up in a rich tapestry of reds and oranges.
Ao Yon Noi Beach Clubs
Ao Yon Noi Beach Restaurants / Bars
- The Cove Phuket – right on the beach just east of the center of Ao Yon Noi is one of the most delicious restaurants on Phuket, and the main reason you should come to Ao Yon Noi Beach. Pizzas, seafood including pan-seared ahi (tuna), and of course Thai food, keeps mouths watering at The Cove. There is outdoor seating on a patio above the beach. Exceptional reviews, possibly the highest of all Phuket restaurants. Apparently, the owners have a boat you can charter for excursions including fishing.
- Ship Inn Bar & Restaurant – another little place in the center of Ao Yon Noi that’s nothing more than bamboo huts on the beach and a concrete bar. Very high ratings for food and service.
Ao Yon Noi Beach Accommodations
- The Cove Phuket – offers comfortable accommodation with sea views. Free WiFi is available. Bungalows and villas feature air conditioning, a flat-screen TV and a full minibar. There is also a safety deposit box, a seating area and a private bathroom with a shower. This property is also rated for the best value in Panwa Beach! Guests are getting more for their money when compared to other properties in this city.
There are no other hotels or resorts in Ao Yon Noi but if you want to stay close-by, we list a couple in the Ao Yon Yai page.
Ao Yon Noi Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Located on a bay in the southwest corner of Cape Panwa.
- GPS Data: 7° 48’ 51” N, 98° 23’ 45” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 24 / 12 / 43
- Taxis available: No
- Surrounding Beaches: Panwa Hotel Beach is the next named beach to the east, but before there are a number of sandy spots that are either on private property, or just not named. Ao Yon Yai is to the west.
- Direction Facing: South
- Beach Length: 355 meters (388 yd.)
- Beach Width: 17 meters (19 yd.) is the average at the wide part of the beach by the road, and it’s around half of that on the east section of beach.
- Estimated Beach Area: 6’035 m2 (7,218 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Dark sand (mixed with dirt).
- Ocean Bottom: Mud and sand. Not good for swimming or wading during low tide.
- Restroom / showers facilities? None, very basic spot. (in restaurant yes)
- Beach features: Very thin beach with bare minimum view and a road partly behind the beach. You’ll find a couple of food and drink carts. At the south end you will find the Cove which is a great place to eat and enjoying beautiful ocean views.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? No
- Umbrellas? No
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes, further out in the deeper water. Water near the beach is very shallow and gradually sloping, over mud.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 6-8m
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: N/A – very small beach.
- Activities: OK for laying out for a tan, kicking a soccer ball (football), or other activity on the sand. Small boats and kayaks for rent.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? No, no good surfing on the east coast of Phuket.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Stingrays can be a problem in the shallow waters of the east coast.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Ao Yon Noi Beach
For more Ao Yon Noi Beach information check out the Blog: