Banana Beach – laid-back beach with a somewhat remote location in northwest Phuket. Visitors must walk down a steep hill to reach the beach. The road behind the beach is about 70 meters (77 yd.) away. There is a beach bar that is sometimes closed during the day, and when it is open some people complain that the prices are high. A huge positive is that very few people are usually here at this beach – it’s never crowded. Some people call this the most beautiful beach on the island of Phuket.
Banana Beach Clubs
No beach clubs here in this very small spot but see our listing for Bang Tao Beach and look for Xana Beach Club, it’s about seven minutes away from Banana Beach.
Banana Beach Restaurants / Bars
There is a beach bar-restaurant on the south end of the beach.
Banana Beach Accommodations
Try Trisara and Layan beaches for accommodations listings. For high-end resort, try the Anantara Layan Phuket Resort. Banana Beach is too small and doesn’t have any resorts.
Banana Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Northwest Phuket
- GPS Data: 8° 02’ 31” N, 98° 16’ 35” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 25 / 28 / 11
- Taxis available: No
- Surrounding Beaches: Trisara is south, and Nai Thon is north.
- Direction Facing: Northwest
- Beach Length: 215 meters (235 yd)
- Beach Width: 18 meters (20 yd)
- Estimated Beach Area: 3,870 m2 (4,628 square yd)
- Beach Quality: Deep, soft sand with small shells and some submerged rocks. Beach can be dirty with trash brought in from the tide during the low-season when they are not cleaning often.
- Ocean Bottom: Sandy with rocks covering both south and north ends.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Restroom at the beach restaurant if open.
- Beach features: Small beach with natural feel.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? No
- Umbrellas? Yes, from restaurant.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes. But small.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 5-8m
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: Nothing except the beach, this is a small beach with the attraction being the lovely sand, water, and views.
- Activities: Good snorkeling on north and south end. Bring gear with you.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? Surfing can be OK when waves are big, not long rides, but ok for short rides.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Bring your own food and drink just in case the bar-restaurant is closed, as it often is, special in low season.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Banana Beach
For more Banana Beach information check out the Blog: