Freedom Beach in Phuket is a small beach in a private cove like those that are usually taken by luxury resorts as their own private beach when they build, but maybe building on the steep hills behind the beach is too much effort so it remains a little slice of paradise for now. Located on Phuket’s west coast, only a few minutes away from Patong, this 300 meter long stretch of beach is the height of luxury with it’s fine white sands and crystal clear waters. Set within the Patong Bay this magnificent piece of paradise is surrounded by thick, lush jungle and enclave by glistening granite boulders separated in the middle by the long tail boat landing area. Freedom Beach gets its “exclusivity” from the fact that there are only two ways to get there. One is by long tail boat that you catch at the southern end of Patong beach on the jetty, although they only operate mainly during high season and they do charge a rather high price of 1,100 – 1,500 baht per trip (low season THB 500 each way). The other way to reach Freedom Beach requires a sometimes-dangerous hike (450 meters; 492 yd.) through the forest and then a climb down a steep hill that is sometimes slippery. There is also a 200 THB entrance fee to Freedom Beach. For those who wish to do more than just sunbathe, there are a few activities on Freedom Beach such as volleyball, soccer and snorkeling. The calm shallow waters are home to a wonderful array of crustaceans and local fish as well as brightly colored corals and sea flora. There are no jet skis or other loud aquatic vessels so it’s safe to swim and quiet for those who are relaxing. So if you want to leave the heavy loud crowds behind and enjoy a peaceful and quiet day in the tranquil nature of Phuket, Freedom Beach is definitely the beach for you!.
Freedom Beach Clubs
No beach clubs here at this little beach, but if you’re looking for a place to go out at night on the beach, check out our listings for beach clubs under our Patong Beach location.
Freedom Beach Restaurants / Bars
The beach is usually lined with lots of small huts to grab something to eat or drink, but at times, even that is missing. During high season, there should be a stand or hut with food.
Kata Beach Accommodations
- Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong – though there is no beachfront resort on Freedom Beach, this is the closest quality resort to the beach, and it’s a nice one. Set on the top of a hill overlooking the ocean, this hotel is quiet, clean, and a peaceful place to stay for a couple of nights. Room rates starting around 4,000 THB per night.
- Lets Phuket Twin Sands Resort & Spa – just down the road a few minutes between Freedom Beach and Patong Beach is this budget resort where you can stay for around 2,000 THB per night. Includes yoga, gym, swimming pool, and spa.
Freedom Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: South of Patong Beach (5 minutes) on Phuket’s west coast.
- GPS Data: 7° 52’ 28” N, 98° 16’ 32” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 5 / 19 / 44
- Taxis available: No
- Surrounding Beaches: To the south is Hat Karon Noi (little Karon Beach); to the north is Merlin Beach.
- Direction Facing: Northwest
- Beach Length: 244 meters (267 yd.)
- Beach Width: 29 meters (32 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 7’076 m2 (8,463 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Exceptional! Deep, white sand surrounded by hills and trees. No bins (trash cans) on the entire beach, which means there is random trash scattered about. A shame because this could be such an idyllic little beach! Apparently the 200 THB charged per person isn’t enough to inspire the owners to clean the beach daily.
- Ocean Bottom: Shallows are sandy except at the south end where there is submerged coral. There is a coral reef surrounding the entire bay, but it starts out where the water begins to deepen.
- Restroom / showers facilities? No/No
- Beach features: Deep, soft white sand with many shade trees for picnics or hammocks. The road is far back from the beach, so there will be little sound. The bay has hills to the south, north, and behind. It is rather remote and has a very natural environment. There is another small patch of sand past the rocks on the north end of the beach. The water has coral and rocks on the south and north ends of the beach, making it ideal for snorkeling when the water is calm.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? No
- Umbrellas? No
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Private, THB 200 per person
- Water quality: Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No, coral reef all over the bay. Longtail boats do come into the shore.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 8-10m
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: No tourist attractions here, or close-by, just this picture-perfect beach with great snorkeling.
- Activities: Snorkeling, laying out, and eating are the main activities at this quiet little beach. The snorkeling is pretty epic here, if you go south around the rocks, you can keep going along the coast! No jet skis or parasailing available.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? No
- Surfing? No real surfing here, even during a strong swell.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: 1.) Wear proper athletic shoes with closed-toe to climb up and down the hill path – dangerous in sandals or bare feet. 2.) Like everywhere on the west coast, when the waves are bigger than .5 meters (.5 yd.), undertow can be strong and dangerous.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Freedom Beach
For more Freedom Beach information check out the Blog: