Iguana beach is a very small beach in the corner of a cove in front of a beach bar. The beach is so small and so without any redeeming qualities, that you are best to skip it if you’re really just looking for a beautiful beach to hang out at for a while. However, Iguana Beach has two good qualities.
1.) Sunset can be really nice. Depends if the sun is in the southern hemisphere during sunset. The months of October to April are best.
2.) The restaurant here is rated highly, and it’s a fun little beach club when they have a DJ.
Going north along Patong/Kalim Beach and following Highway 4233, in just five short minutes you’ll find Iguana Beach on the left side of the road marked by a meter-high concrete sign in white lettering on a dark grey background.
Iguana Beach Club / Restaurants / Bars
Iguana Beach Bar – the only reason to go to Iguana Beach, and literally the only way you’re going to reach the beach without a boat, is to go to the Iguana Beach Bar. They built up a couple of levels above the water where guests can lay out on chairs above the beach before or after eating. They even brought the sand up a layer and made an adult sandbox with inflatable chairs and umbrellas to block the harsh sun.
The restaurant has a huge kitchen and a lot of staff. Occasionally they have a DJ and music, and at night it becomes a beach club. The Iguana Beach Bar receives great ratings and is probably worth a trip for lunch, dinner, or after dinner drinks. When skies are clear, you’ll be able to enjoy a nice sunset.
Iguana Beach Accommodations
- U Zenmaya Phuket – found behind and above the Iguana Beach Bar is this basic hotel with sea-view rooms. U Zenmaya gets very good reviews from guests. They have a fitness center, infinity swimming pool, and restaurant with outdoor deck seating. Rooms are modern and well-appointed, some with Jacuzzi and sundeck. Rooms start at an affordable 3,000 THB per night.
- Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay – on the other side of the road, away from the beach, is this very large property covering the hill and offering great views. Some rooms have pools, others have quick access to the infinity pool which stays open until near midnight. While most guests enjoyed their stay and rated it highly, there were some who were bothered by the layout and long walks uphill to reach rooms. The free shuttle fills up fast and is on a slow schedule (to Patong Beach). Room rates are reasonable, starting at 3,500 THB per night.
Iguana Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: North of Patong Beach and Kalim Beach on the west coast of Phuket Island.
- GPS Data: 7° 55’ 22” N, 98° 16’ 45” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 5 / 16 / 31
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Kalim Beach is south; Thavorn Beach is to the north.
- Direction Facing: Southwest
- Beach Length: 32 meters (35 yd.)
- Beach Width: 4 meters (4 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 128 square meter (153 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Not wide enough, not long enough, and only a small space to walk around.
- Ocean Bottom: Shallow and filled with rocks. Not good for swimming, wading, or anything.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Restrooms, no showers.
- Beach features: Man-made sand area for tanning or relaxing under an umbrella. Restaurant. Very rocky beach, not good for swimming.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? Inflatable air chairs are found here.
- Umbrellas? Yes
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? The beach where the water meets the sand is public, but unless you plan on eating or drinking at the restaurant, you cannot just pull a boat up here and throw your mat down on the sand. It’s all private property.
- Water quality: Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No, too rocky.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? No
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Unknown
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 3-5m
- Convenience shop available? Yes, not far away
- Attractions: None
- Activities: Eating and drinking; tanning; dancing when the DJ is here.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? No
- Picnic possible? No
- Surfing? No, too rocky.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Many rocks with sharp barnacles. Stay out of the water.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Iguana Beach
For more Iguana Beach or other Phuket beaches information check out the Blog: