Kamala Beach is found to the north of Patong Beach on Phuket’s west coast, just north above the center of the island (north to south). Highway 4233 from Patong goes right to Kamala. In the past, Kamala was nothing more than a local Muslim fishing village that hadn’t been built up, but after the tsunami the area changed. Today Kamala is filled with luxury villas. Most places to eat near the beach can be found around the southern end of Kamala Beach.
Kamala Beach Phuket Clubs
Café del Mar Phuket is a classy beach club from the world-famous brand originating out of Ibiza and is a perfect place to enjoy a few sundowner cocktails. Café del Mar Phuket offers a choice of Thai and international dishes as well as a great selection of cocktails. The higher price range attracts a sophisticated but fun-loving crowd, who enjoy smooth house music played by resident and guest DJs, partly accompanied by a live saxophonist.
Kamala Beach Phuket Restaurants / Bars
- HQ Beach Lounge – on the north end of the beach, is this highly rated restaurant and bar. Coconut vodka cocktails! Great sunsets and trees for shade before sunset.
- Silk Restaurant & Bar – at the far south end of the beach. Romantic, calm, and soothing ambiance. Excellent food and beautiful restaurant interior. Outdoor seating as well. Sunsets are awesome. Asian fusion cuisine is the focus, but some traditional Thai dishes as well.
Kamala Beach Accommodations
- Kamala Beachfront Apartments – this small budget-friendly place is near the police station, and it has convenient access to the beach. The rooms are modern and decorated nicely. Rates begin at 1,300 THB.
- Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach – you can usually count on Novotel properties, they’re usually fairly well updated and high-quality affordable properties to stay in. This Novotel is on north Kamala Beach. Rates beginning at 2,000 THB per night.
- Swissotel Resort Phuket – found on the north side of Kamala Beach, and yet not beachfront. Good service and restaurants. Hooters bar is next door. No elevators so get a first or second floor room. Inexpensive shuttle to Patong. Rates around 3,000 THB per night.
Kamala Beach Phuket Facts
- Location in Phuket: North of Patong Beach by a couple miles, along Hwy 4233.
- GPS Data: 7° 57’ 11” N, 98° 16’ 56” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 10 / 23 / 27
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Patong Beach is south by five minutes. Laem Singh Beach is just a couple minutes north.
- Direction Facing: West
- Beach Length: 2 kilometer (1.2 mi.)
- Beach Width: 27 meters (30 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 54’000 m2 (64,583 square yd)
- Beach Quality: Very nice quality sand, good for kids and relaxing. Trees provide a lot of shade in most areas.
- Ocean Bottom: Mostly sand, but coral reef at the southern end and rocks at the north end of this beach.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Yes, in restaurants
- Beach features: Large bay with rocky and coral filled ends good for exploring with snorkels. Further out from the beach is decent diving. Many restaurants and food stands lining the beach.
- Lifeguard Available? Yes
- Sunbeds Available? Yes, 10% of the Beach.
- Umbrellas? Yes, 10% of the Beach.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes, northside.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 1-40m
- Convenience shop available? Yes
- Attractions: Phuket FantaSea is right in Kamala; Kathu Waterfall is a 20-minute drive.
- Activities: Snorkeling on the south end is pretty good when the water is calm.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? This can be a great surfing spot. While the waves are typically smaller – even during the surf season (May through October), wave heights can reach 3 meters (3 yd.). Waves break on all tide conditions. Waves break at numerous spots along the beach, so a walk or drive up and down is recommended to find the best spot. You can find rental boards and classes to learn to surf at the Saltwater Dreaming Surfboard Shop located just north of Kamala, in Cherng Thale.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Undertow can be very strong at beaches on the west side of Phuket during storms and high waves.
- Waste runoff into the sea? Yes – south
More about Kamala Beach Phuket
For more Kamala Beach Phuket information check out the Phuket Beaches Blog: