Koh Bon is an island just 1 mile (1.6 km) off the southeastern tip of Phuket Island (off Rawai Beach). Koh Bon is around 4,100 feet long (1.3 km) and covered with dense tree growth except on the coast where you’ll find it to be either rocky or filled with beautiful soft sand. At the northernmost part of the island is the highly rated Bon Island Restaurant, they have a large area of sand where you can throw down a beach mat. One side of the beach is rocky, and the other sandy.
If you’re looking at the satellite view of Koh Bon, you may see some tiny beaches all around the west and south sides of the island. Some of these are inaccessible to boats due to submerged rocks, and it’s probably safer just to head to the northeast side of the island to Koh Bon Beach for your best experience. Your boat will stay with you, there is no path to walk from this beach over to the restaurant through the thick trees.
Koh Bon Beach Clubs
None – this is a very small island without area for a proper beach club.
Koh Bon Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Bon Island Restaurant – As mentioned, this restaurant sits on the northern tip of the island and has a sandy beach around it filled with sand-crabs. This is a no-frills restaurant with red plastic chairs and throw-away plastic table cloths. This electricity-free restaurant gets excellent reviews for food, and service is more casual – after all, you’re at a beach restaurant. On an island. On vacation. Relax, you’ll get your food! 😉 Cocktails served in a coconut!
Nearly all reviewers mentioned that they loved the setting because there were few tourists and the food was good. Some mentioned a higher than expected price, but again… you’re on an island. Prices are higher on the islands that on the Thailand mainland.
Koh Bon Accommodation
None here, you can stay at Rawai Beach on Phuket Island for an easy hop over to Bon Island via water-taxi (longtail boat) for convenience.
Koh Bon Beach Facts & Features
- Location in Relation to Phuket: On Koh Bon Island off the southeast tip of Phuket.
- GPS Data: 07° 45` 44” N, 98°20` 04” E
- Surrounding Beaches: Rawai Beach is off the northwest coast.
- Direction Facing: Southeast.
- Beach Length: 320 meters (1,050 ft.)
- Beach Width: 12 meters (40 ft.) on average.
- Estimated Beach Area: 3’840 m2 (42,000 square ft.)
- Beach Quality: Sandy with occasional large rocks.
- Ocean Bottom: Random rocks along the length of the beach. Possible to swim and wade with caution.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Yes, at the restaurant.
- Beach features: This sandy patch is located between rocky coast sections. The sand is deep and great for kids or anyone making sand castles.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Lifeguard Available? No.
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes, boats may anchor offshore a bit to avoid rocks.
- Boat dock and marina? None.
- How to reach Koh Bon? From Rawai Pier or beach by longtail boat.
- Attractions: None, this is a very small beach.
- Activities: If the waves are small enough, this can be a good spot for snorkeling along the rocks on the coast. Swimming and wading are fine here, with awareness of submerged rocks.
- Surfing? No surf breaks here.
- Sunbeds Available? Yes – 150 THB.
- Umbrellas? No.
- Water quality: Very Good.
- Convenience shop available? No.
- Massage available? Yes.
- Picnic possible? Yes, however please don’t leave your rubbish behind.
- Smoking? Thailand authorities are cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Many rocks under the water, do be careful while swimming or wading. Currents will be bad with higher waves.
More about Phuket Beaches
Check out the Blog: