At 1.7 miles (2.8 km) northeast of Laem Yat in Northeastern Phuket, Koh Lawa Yai Island is a small island just southeast of Phang Nga province by 1 mile (1.6 km) in Phang Nga Bay. The island is listed as a Thailand national park.
The main beach on Koh Lawa Yai is found on the northwest corner of the island. This is a medium-sized beach at around 1,266 feet (386 m) long. The beach is part of the national parks group, “Ao Phang Nga National Park”.
Koh Lawa Yai Beach Clubs
None here – no real public or private infrastructure here with the national park owning the island and doing little with it.
Koh Lawa Yai Beach Restaurants / Bars
Nothing here as far as we can tell.
Koh Lawa Yai Beach Accommodation
There are some bungalows on the island, just up behind the beach in the trees. There is no Google listing for the bungalows, so it’s possible the national parks services listed these as available on their own website.
Koh Lawa Yai Beach Facts & Features
- Location in Relation to Phuket: Just east of the top of Phuket Island.
- GPS Data: 08° 07` 38” N, 98° 26` 34” E
- Surrounding Beaches: The island has sand almost the entire way around. No beaches are listed at these spots on Google Maps, but it’s probably fine to go visit them.
- Direction Facing: North and West.
- Beach Length: 386 meters (1,266 ft.)
- Beach Width: 45 meters (148 ft.) on average.
- Estimated Beach Area: 17,407 m2 (187,368 square ft.)
- Beach Quality: Nice deep sand with a lot of space. Few people, and nice views.
- Ocean Bottom: In the shallow areas the water is clear and good for wading or swimming. As the water deepens, more rocks can be found.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Restrooms, yes. / Showers if you stay at the bungalows.
- Beach features: Medium length almost barren beach. No snack or beverage huts and usually no other people visiting. There is a special swimming area roped off for safety.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, but there are national park fees collected at the ranger station. Cost is 60 THB for Thai adults and 300 THB for foreigners. Cost is 30 THB for Thai kids and 100 THB for foreign children.
- Lifeguard Available? No.
- Boat anchorage possible? Small boats can come in to shore.
- Boat dock and marina? No.
- How to reach Koh Lawa Yai Island? from Laem Khat Pier by longtail boat.
- Attractions: The beach is nice, maybe worth a stop if nobody else is there at the time.
- Activities: Swimming; snorkeling; tanning.
- Surfing? None here.
- Sunbeds Available? No.
- Umbrellas? No.
- Water quality: Very Good.
- Convenience shop available? No.
- Massage available? No.
- Picnic possible? Yes, however please don’t leave your rubbish behind.
- Smoking? Thailand authorities are cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Many rocks and currents strong. Stay in the designated swimming section.
More about Phuket Beaches
check out the Blog: