Koh Maphrao Island in Phuket is found just 2,789 feet (850 m) east of Laem Hin Pier on Phuket’s east coast. This is a small island, less than 2 miles (3.2 km) long and 1.5 miles (2.4 km) at its widest point. There are small beaches all over the island, but the main Coconut Beach is located on the northern coast of the island. There are not many trees on the beach, and it is lined with private villas you can rent.
Koh Maphrao Beach Clubs
Koh Maphrao Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Koko Restaurant Coconut Village – There is a restaurant here, but we have no means to review it. Guests said nothing about it.
Koh Maphrao Beach Accommodation
There are a number of resorts around the island, the following is the only resort on the main Koh Maphrao Beach.
- The Village Coconut Island – This large hotel with many villas is located right on the main Koh Maphrao Beach. In fact, it covers most of the west side of the beach. Swimming pools, water slides and a large gaming area for children make this a kid-friendly hotel. There are many people at the breakfast buffet each morning, and a number of people reviewing the hotel on social media mention the average food quality. Russian and Chinese tourists are the main guests here. Fairly high ratings on Google with 4.3 out of 5 stars. Rates start at just 3,300 THB during high season.
There is one small property with villas located on the south side of the island if you’re looking for something else. It is not well reviewed, so we chose not to include it here until more people give their opinion on the accommodation and food available there.
Koh Maphrao Beach Facts & Features
- Location in Relation to Phuket: Less than .6 miles (1 km) east from Laem Hin Pier.
- GPS Data: 07° 56` 28” N, 98° 25` 23” E
- Surrounding Beaches: There are some unnamed beaches around the island with the largest being on the northwest coast.
- Direction Facing: North.
- Beach Length: 1,600 meters (5,280 ft.)
- Beach Width: 15 meters (49 ft.) on average.
- Estimated Beach Area: 24,036 m2 (258,720 square ft.)
- Beach Quality: Sand is deep and darker in color than some other beaches with less mud content. The beach also has some rocks and shells. Water quality was mentioned by some as not the cleanest, with some even preferring to stick to the pools instead.
- Ocean Bottom: Mostly free of rocks and coral, and somewhat muddy. This is the same as many of the island beaches on Phuket’s east coast.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Each resort has their own restrooms and showers. There are no public facilities available on Koh Maphrao.
- Beach features: 3 piers on the beach, though two of them are private and not available to the public.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public island, but little to do if you’re not staying at one of the resorts.
- Lifeguard Available? No.
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes.
- Boat dock and marina? Dock.
- How to reach Koh Maphrao Island? From Laem Hin Pier by longtail boat.
- Attractions: None, the island is a close distance to mainland Phuket, so many people visit or stay for a few hours only.
- Activities: Swimming, wading in the shallows.
- Surfing? No.
- Sunbeds Available? Yes, at the resorts, but nothing for the general public.
- Umbrellas? Yes, at the resort.
- Water quality: Very Good.
- Convenience shop available? No.
- Massage available? No.
- Picnic possible? Yes, however please don’t leave your rubbish behind.
- Smoking? Thailand authorities are cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Stingrays can be just under the sand. Jellyfish are common, as noted by the permanently installed warning sign on the beach.
More about Phuket Beaches
check out the Blog: