Koh Rang Yai Island, the biggest of the Koh Rang Islands sitting three miles east of Phuket, is a stop on some of the island tours from Phuket and as such, can get crowded during the 11 am. to 4 pm. time frame. Avoiding this beach during these hours can ensure a better experience.
Koh Rang Yai Beach Clubs, Restaurants, and Accommodation
None here, the beach bar below is the only form of entertainment on this small island.
Koh Rang Yai Beach Bars
- Beach Bar – I don’t think the name is actually “Beach Bar” but, who knows? That is how it is listed on the Google Map. This is a basic spot for grabbing some refreshments and snacks under a thatched roof as the sun beats down on the beach. If you’ve had enough sun on your island tour, this is a good place to stop and get a beverage. Expect prices to be higher than you’re comfortable paying in Thailand. This is the same at all island establishments.
Koh Rang Yai Beach Facts & Features
- Location in Relation to Phuket: Directly east of the middle of Phuket by about 3.3 miles (5.3 km).
- GPS Data: 07° 57` 28” N, 98° 26` 42” E
- Surrounding Beaches: None. The main beach is on the west side of the island, there is a large bay on the east side of the island you can explore with a hike.
- Direction Facing: Southwest to northwest – curving around the west side of the island.
- Beach Length: 1,158 meters (3,800 ft.)
- Beach Width: 13.7 meters (45 ft.) on average.
- Estimated Beach Area: 15,886 m2 (171,000 square ft.)
- Beach Quality: Stunning white sand that is deep and mostly free of rocks.
- Ocean Bottom: In the shallow areas the bottom is fairly clean, and you can wade here. The bottom quickly becomes covered with coral and rocks as you get out further.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Restroom at the beach bar, and no public facilities.
- Beach features: Deep sand with incredibly clear water. Easy slope into the sea creates amazing shallow turquoise water great for wading and photos.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, as part of the island tours.
- Lifeguard Available? No.
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes.
- Boat dock and marina? None.
- How to reach Koh Rang Yai Island? From Laem Hin Pier by longtail boat.
- Attractions: None. It’s quite beautiful itself!
- Activities: Wading, swimming, walking along the long beach.
- Surfing? No.
- Sunbeds Available? Reclining beach chairs available for rent.
- Umbrellas? No.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Convenience shop available? No.
- Massage available? No.
- Picnic possible? Yes, however please don’t leave your rubbish behind.
- Smoking? Thailand authorities are cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: All the deeper water on the west side of the island is covered with coral and can cut feet. On the east side, in the bay, there are some areas of clear bottom that are better for swimming and wading.
More about Phuket Beaches
check out the Blog: