Nai Thorn Beach – this lovely little beach is located just south of Nai Thon Noi Beach, and north of Banana Beach on Phuket Island’s west coast.
Nai Thorn beach is about 300 meters (328 yards) long, and very wide – around 60 meters (66 yards). There is a lot of space here, and usually few people, you’ll probably only see guests staying at the resort. The sand and water are relatively free of rocks at Nai Thorn Beach and wading and swimming are comfortable here when the waves are small. In the tourist off-season, the waves pick up – especially during April and November. Do be careful of strong currents here during bigger waves.
Snorkeling is good around the south end of the point, with lots of rocks to attract fish and other marine life.
Nai Thorn Beach Clubs
No beach clubs per se, but the restaurant and bar areas of the White Andaman Resort are really quite nice and if you’re looking for a nice place to stay on the beach, it’s going to be hard to beat this location since it’s virtually a private beach without public access.
Nai Thorn Beach Restaurants / Bars
- White Andaman Resort Restaurant – the restaurant at this resort received a number of positive comments from guests staying there. They serve Thai and seafood, like most restaurants in Phuket. The views are spectacular, overlooking the beach and setting sun. Breakfast comes with booking, in most cases. Free fruit juice at 4 pm., fruit at 5 pm. Happy hour two-for-one drinks starts in the bar at 6 pm. to 7 pm. just before dinner. Guests have overwhelmingly good things to say about this restaurant.
Nai Thorn Beach Accommodations
- White Andaman Resort – though it’s a shame that this resort doesn’t provide public access to the amazing beach in this location, it’s also a sort of a bonus if you’re staying at this resort because it will only be guests at the beach, not just anyone who shows up to throw a tent up. Most guests are happy with their accommodations, but it was mentioned numerous times that the property is in need of upgrade and cleaning, and some guests felt like the money paid was not worth it. Rooms start around 6,500 THB a night.
Nai Thorn Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: This beach is a bit hard to find. Why? It isn’t on Google Maps. Nai Thorn Beach is on the westside of Phuket Island, not too far from the airport. From Nai Thon Beach, it is just south by about 600 meters (656 yd.). The problem is, the hotel behind the beach has blocked access from the road, and the only way to reach this amazing beach is to go by boat from Nai Thon in the north, or one of the beaches in the south, like Banana Beach. Keep in mind that all beaches are supposed to, by Thai law, be open to the public. There are not supposed to be any privately held beaches in the country. That said, Nai Thorn and Laem Singh are pushing the boundaries.
- GPS Data: 8° 02’ 50” N, 98° 16’ 39” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 26 / 29 / 10
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Banana Beach to the south, and Nai Thon Beach Noi to the north – just around some rocks.
- Direction Facing: Directly west.
- Beach Length: 298 meters (326 yd.)
- Beach Width: 55 meters (60 yd.) – one of the widest beaches on Phuket Island during low tide.
- Estimated Beach Area: 16’390 m2 (19,602 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Exceptional. Nice soft, deep, light colored sand, which is nice to walk through. The water is clear, and waves are light during high-season.
- Ocean Bottom: Relatively free of rocks and coral. Great beach for swimming or wading.
- Restroom / showers facilities? The White Andaman Hotel has restrooms and showers for guests of the hotel. No public facilities available.
- Beach features: Soft sand, excellent swimming beach. Beach lounge chairs and umbrellas available for guests.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? Yes, many, for guests of the hotel.
- Umbrellas? Yes, they have square tents above the lounge chairs to make it really nice for guests of the hotel.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? As mentioned above, all Thailand beaches are to be public. There is no public access to the beach from the road. You can take a boat around from another beach to Nai Thorn and stay on the beach if you want.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? No
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Unknown
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 4-8m
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: This beach is sort of remote, with no town behind it to walk around in and shop – like there is in other areas. You’re at the mercy of taxi drivers which are expensive, no matter where you’re going away from the beach. Bang Tao Beach is south, and to reach Patong Beach for some real action will cost you over 800 THB for the taxi and will take around an hour to go the 26 kilometers (16 mi.).
- Activities: There is some snorkeling at either end of Nai Thorn Beach, where the rocks come out and provide areas for fish to hide and marine plants to grow – providing food for fish and other animals. Not a great place on the north side because not that big an area for snorkeling. The south has 500 meters (547 yd.) of snorkeling if you’re adventurous. You can start at either the south end of Nai Thorn and go south, or the north end of Banana Beach and go north to Nai Thorn. Nice area when waves are flat. A limited number of kayaks and paddleboards are available to first-come first-served.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? No
- Surfing? When the waves are breaking in the off-months (May to November) this can be a good spot for surfing, but you’ll need to find a way down from the road. Not sure the hotel will let you walk through the lobby from the road down to the beach.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: For every west-facing beach on Phuket, the threat of undertow is very serious during periods of high or even moderate waves around a 1-meter (1 yd.) in height. Be very careful yourself, and with children.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Nai Thorn Beach
For more Nai Thorn Beach or other Phuket beaches information check out the Blog: